Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Can you say Latina?

Holy sneezing fit today! What is UP with this weather? When it was all nice and sunny my allergies were normal. Now that its beastly cold and rainy 24/7, I am sneezy and congested. Woof.

ANYway, I am on the ball today! I somehow got out of bed ten minutes early (whaa???), so once I was ready I decided to make a real breakfast. I had two wheat tortillas filled with scrambled eggs, 2% cheese, and a tbsp of bacon bits. It was YUM! Scarfed it down on the way to work and then drank 32 ounces of water. So needless to say I was quite full this morning. For lunch today I had nothing exciting - just a turkey sandwich on wheat sandwich thins, a handful of baked lays, and some fresh broccoli with ranch. I'm getting better at operating my bottle of ranch dressing. This time only half a bucket came out. Progress.

Now on to the important stuff: Zumba. Now, I know if you've followed this blog at all then you have been reading my weekly posts that tell you all about my adventures in Zumba. Just like a quality Lifetime movie you laugh, you cry, you try to change the channel but can't; the usual. But today my friends, I have a whole new level of Zumba to share with you! Remember how our regular instructor Kelly is out of town, and that girl who taught us on Monday basically just had us do amped up show choir moves and I was all sad? Well fret no more. Miss Latina taught us last night and it was a HOOT!

So to start things off, she was about 10 minutes late, and I started to seriously consider going home. I really didn't want to go last night anyway after a long day, but I had made myself so I figured I may as well stick it out and if she was more than 15 mins late I'd leave. She walked in right as I had that thought process (yes God, I hear you) and she jumped up on stage with more energy than anyone I have ever seen. Ever. They asked her if she wanted the mic and she was like "Um, no. I'm great, thanks", turned the music on and then magic happened. This woman was absolutely everything you are picturing in your head right now - dark hair, perfect skin, voluptuous curves, and hips that don't lie. They don't even think of lyin'. She had this uber thick accent that was perfect, and she calls out, "Hokay, we ah going to do it like theees" and she starts MOVING. I swear I wish I had kept a flip cam in my sports bra last night, because it just yearned to be documented. All of the music was different than what we normally use, which means that none of us knew any of the moves at ALL. There were around 150 women in there, and about 147 of us were laughing hysterically. Not at her - at ourselves! She would do something and we were like little puppies learning how to stay on all fours (or in our case, all twos). The music was way more Latin/Cuban inspired, and the dances reflected that completely.

As I'm typing this I am realizing that my words are doing this class NO justice whatsoever. If it was on my body - it shook, shimmied, cha cha'd, meringue'd, or salsa'd. And at warp speed! She did this one turning type move where we had to cha cha then take it straight into this huge turn, cha cha then back around and everytime I turned I could see every woman in the room going a different direction, but with a huge smile on their face. We were having SO much fun, and I think I sweat more in that hour than any hour of Zumba I have ever had!

OH! I almost forgot - there was a second Latina woman who led us for one song. She was about 4 ft tall, had crazy curly hair, pleasantly plump, and enough 'tude to fill all of Cuba. She got up there and girl threw. It. Down. She did this one move where we had to put our legs out really wide and kind of gallop like we were riding a horse, while our hands banged conga drums in the center and our hips shook like an earthquake. And while doing all of this at the same time, we had to turn in a circle. I could NOT take my eyes off the instructor because she was FOR REAL!! She RODE that pony, turned in that circle and played those drums like she was Donkey Kong on holiday - woooo girl! Every single woman in that room was laughing so hard we couldn't breathe partially because she was just awesome, and partially because we were having SO much fun trying this move.(granted, I'm sure we all looked a fool, but for some reason this didn't occur to us). The song was insanely fast so we didn't have time to stop and think. When she finished we actually applauded and hooped and hollered!

SO yes, last night was awesome. And here is the best news of all: When I started Zumba I literally thought I would die everytime I went. I would hurt, limp, crawl, slide or slump to my car when I finished, then come home and literally not be able to move save for the 30 minute long unbearably hot shower that I would take. And now? I actually am realizing I feel GOOD afterwards! And during! My body is really starting to adjust to it. I feel my waist starting to move more, and my hips, and I'm lighter on my feet. I've stopped concentrating on the moves and instead just focus on dancing, tightening my abs and butt, and all that jazz. Now last night, I totally looked a fool but it was FUN, best workout I've had in weeks, and afterwards I felt energized. So again, in yet another tiny way I am making progress! I'm not a size 6, but I can still dance and have fun and do things I wouldn't have even considered 5 months ago when I started this!

Go me! ;)
Micha

No comments:

Post a Comment