Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Ankles and the Amazon

So I went to Zumba last night. I was not really feeling it, but I made myself go. Literally before the music started I was standing on the floor yawning. Thats how unmotivated I felt. But I started dancing and trying to make myself be all energetic. Then it happened. We were dancing to this Enrique Iglesias song "I Like It". There is this part in it that I can never do -where my feet have to kind of switch from side to side and my hands press down - well, its just awkward for me. My knees usually don't enjoy it (for those of you who don't know I have a torn miniscus in my right knee, so I often find myself having to modify fancy footwork). But last night I thought that hell, I was there and trying to be motivated so I decided to actually attempt this move. And I did it! I was all happy and smiling and thinking "Wow! I can do it!" and right when I reached that big happy smile point - I died. Well, not literally. But I did land on the side of my ankle rather than my actual foot and excruciating pain rippled up my leg. I stopped moving and screamed, but the music was so loud that not one person heard me. And honestly, people stop moving and/or modify moves all the time, so me just standing there on one foot didn't seem to alarm anyone within a four row radius either. Go figure. It just hurt sooooo bad. Like that kind of pain that makes your blood feel like it suddenly ran cold. I couldn't walk off the floor at first, so I opted to bend over and start rubbing my ankle.

Meanwhile, of all nights I had this girl next to me who was IN IT TO WIN IT. She was this 6 ft tall voluptuos Amazon woman who took every move that Kelly showed us and then proceeded to do the cracked-out amplified x10 version of that move. She had about taken me out three times already and didn't seem to care. Actually, at one point she had puckered her lips out and gave me a look that said "Who gon' check me boo?" and badonka-donked past me. But none of that was as scary when I was moving with her, because we were at least moving in sync. However, when I'm standing there at a dead stop, bent over holding my ankle, her coming at me like a freight train was scary as hell. She had zero intention of stopping, and her ass came no less than 2 inches away from my face about 12 times. It was a mess. I felt like I was in the middle of some African tribal ceremony and I was the chosen sacrifice.

Anyway, I pretty much stood there for the rest of the song and worked out my ankle. There were two more songs until water break so I did some light modifications and made it through them, but after they were over I peaced out. I decided that it wasn't worth it to be in pain, so I went home. And I had a fairly bad day yesterday overall, and combined with the Zumba experience I broke down - I stopped on the way home and got a hot-n-ready pizza at Little Ceasar's. Remember that whole "don't eat your feelings" concept? Yeah, I was the poster child. I can see the headlines now: "Girl Twists Ankle In Zumba, Eats Whole Pizza As A Result". Extra, extra read all about it! :-/

Anyway, so after last night being tragic in all realms its back to the grind today. I wore a dress today in some feeble attempt to feel pretty. My ankle, by the way, doesn't hurt at all today. Well, a tiny bit on the inside but nothing major and I can totally walk on it. The jury is still out on whether I'm going tonight or not.

At least I don't have cankles,
Micha

4 comments:

  1. Oh, man. I had a day like that yesterday. I did not workout AT ALL, and for work went to a BBQ place for lunch and a steak place for dinner. Of course, I did not choose a healthy option at either place and even had dessert at dinner. The worst part is that I didn't feel that bad yesterday - because I was so tired from working a 14 hour day - but I am dealing with the guilt and that yucky, I ate too much BBQ and dessert feeling today. UGH!!

    Here's to getting back on track today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm...I feel a little bad laughing at your pain but when you write "badonka-donked past me...I felt like I was in the middle of some African tribal ceremony and I was the chosen sacrifice." you are just asking for it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. girl, you are too funny! Don't give yourself a bad time about the pizza, sounds like you totally deserved it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness...you had me laughing so hard. I'm sorry for your trauma but your retelling is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete